Yesterday the VMware Education and Certification Blog announced the first details about the VCIX6 level certifications aligned with version 6 of their core products. So far the news has been positive and I like how the upgrade options are laid out as shown below.
- From VCAP5 Design to VCIX6 → Earn the VCAP6 Deployment certification by passing the VCAP6 Deployment Exam (lab).
- From VCAP5 Administration to VCIX6 → Earn the VCAP6 Design certification by passing the VCAP6 Design Exam.
- From VCAP5 Administration and VCAP5 Design (both) to VCIX6 → Earn either the VCAP6 Design or the VCAP6 Deployment certification
- From VCAP5 Administration to VCAP6 Deployment → Pass the VCAP6 Deployment Exam (lab)
- From VCAP5 Design to VCAP6 Design → Pass the VCAP6 Design Exam
I’m a little slow on the draw on this one but if you aren’t aware of VMware Labs Flings page please allow me to introduce you to it. The VMware Labs page refers to itself as a place where their engineers release their tools or pet projects as known as “Flings” that don’t make it into the full product releases.
My favorite Fling is of course the ESXi Embedded Host Client which was recently updated and allows you to access your ESXi hosts via HTML5 through your browser! This is very useful when you need to quickly access multiple ESXi hosts if for example vCenter goes down.
The setup was breeze and just a simple vib install on the ESXi host. One thing to note is if you are running the 5.x version you need to use a double slash in the address as explained on the Summary page.
Sample screenshot from lab ESXi host after install: ESXi01.png